- YIELDS | 8 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 5 MINS
- COOK TIME | 5 MINS, PLUS 1 HR STEEPING TIME
This concoction is herbaceous, sweet, and has the perfect amount of heat thanks to the jalapeño. Use it in cocktails, like my Not Quite a Tequila Sunrise, or drizzle it over ice cream for an interesting summer treat, or add to lemonade for a refreshing and delicious mocktail.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 jalapeño, cut in half and seeded
- 10 large basil leaves
- Over medium heat, add water and sugar to a medium pot and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add basil and jalapeño and stir. Let mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes and then remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 1 hour.
- Strain into a glass container with a lid and allow to come to room temperature or refrigerate until ready to use.
Keep extra in the fridge for another round. Put some over ice and splash with club soda for a non-alcoholic treat.