YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 15 MINS
COOK TIME | 10 MINS
This is a yummy twist on a classic French sandwich referred to as a Tartine. The difference is this recipe is super easy to make. The smokiness of the eggplant is delicious when paired with the creamy, melted Burrata and fresh grilled tomato.￼
• 1 French baguette￼
• 2 Japanese eggplants. You will need roughly 16 1/2” slices￼
• 1 clove garlic, halved
• 4 small balls burrata cheese or fresh mozzarella, 8-10 ounces total
• 8-medium Roma or other small, firm tomatoes￼
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated 1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil for garnish
• Olive oil to brush the bread￼
1. Cut the bread into 4 equal pieces then cut again in half crosswise to make 8 pieces. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil￼
2. Slice the eggplant into roughly 16-1/2 inch slices, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.￼ Brush each side of the sliced eggplant with olive oil￼.
3. Grill the sliced eggplant, covered over medium heat, turning once halfway through, for 7-8 minutes or until tender.￼
4. Grill the bread, cut side down, for 1 to 2 minutes and then rub the toasted sides with the garlic halves.
5. Arrange the Burrata, eggplant and tomato in layers and put back on to the grill and cover for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese melts a bit. Remove from grill and top with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with additional olive oil, finish with sprigs of basil and freshly ground pepper.￼
The sandwich is traditionally grilled but if you don’t have a grill no problem, simply substitute the grill with a broiler.