YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 20 MINS
COOK TIME | 40 MINS
This recipe is so easy and flavorful plus clean up is a snap.￼ Use brown rice to make a healthier version and substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream to save calories.￼
• 8-bone in, skin on chicken thighs
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
• 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
• 2 1/2 cups chicken stock 2 Fresno or Serano chilies, seeded and diced
• 3 garlic cloves,￼￼ minced
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1-1.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed
• 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed uncooked
• 3 tablespoons, chopped cilantro leaves, optional
• Lime wedges, sour cream and sliced avocado for serving.￼
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. The pan needs to be large enough to accommodate all the ingredients, especially the rice as a cooks.￼
3. Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken on both sides , 3 to 5 minutes per side, and then transfer to a plate.
4. Add the onion and bell peppers to the pan and sauté until just soft, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. To the onions and peppers, add the Fresno or Serrano peppers, garlic and cumin to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the black beans and cherry tomatoes.
6. Season with a fair amount of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
7. Pour the rice on top of the bean, pepper and onion mixture in an even layer. The rice needs to be on top of the beans to keep it from burning.￼
8. Add the stock and return the chicken to the pan, skin-side up.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
10. The chicken should be golden brown and the liquid absorbed to make the rice tender. Sprinkle with the cilantro, if using.
Serve with lime wedges, sour cream and avocado.