- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 20 MINS
- COOK TIME | 40 MINS
This recipe is easy and flavorful, plus clean up is a snap. Use brown rice to make a healthier version and substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream to save calories.
- 6-8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or favorite oil
- 1 large yellow or white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Fresno, Serrano chiles or 1 poblano, seeded and minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 1 cup basmati or white rice, rinsed uncooked
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 5-6 cilantro leaves, chopped, optional
- Lime wedges, sour cream and sliced avocado for serving, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. The pan needs to be large enough to accommodate all the ingredients, especially the rice as it cooks.
- Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken on both sides, 3-5 minutes per side, and then transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and bell peppers to the pan and sauté until just soft, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To the onions and peppers, add the Fresno, Serrano, and or poblano peppers, garlic, and cumin to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the black beans and cherry tomatoes.
- Season with a fair amount to taste of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour the rice on top of the beans mixture in an even layer. Be sure the rice sits on top of the other ingredients to keep it from burning.
- Add the stock and return the chicken to the pan, skin-side up.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and mix a bit, and then continue to bake for 25 more minutes.
- The chicken should be golden brown and the liquid absorbed to make the rice tender. Sprinkle with the cilantro, if using.
Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, and avocado.