YIELDS | 12 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 18 MINS
I can hardly stand it! These are so good it is hard to believe they are gluten-free! They are moist, satisfying, filling and make a great breakfast, snack or serve alongside Sunday dinner.
• 2 Tsps olive oil
• 3⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
• 6 oz cooked chicken sausage (like Aidell’s), diced
• 1/3 cup sliced scallions plus 2 Tbsps for topping
• 3⁄4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats
• 1 1⁄4 cups flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• 1 1⁄2 Tsps kosher salt
• 1 1⁄2 Tsps garlic powder
• 3⁄4 Tsp dried thyme
• 3 oz cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 heaping cup)
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
• 3 Tbsps melted unsalted butter or neutral-flavored oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and add the bell pepper and chicken sausage. Cook 5-6 minutes until the peppers start to soften and the sausage is browned. Stir in 1/3 cup of scallions. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk the oats, flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and thyme together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sausage mixture from the pan and all of the cheese except for 2 Tbsps (which will be used for the topping).
4. Whisk the eggs, milk, and butter together in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with some sliced scallions and cheese. Bake in the center of the oven for 16-18 minutes, until the muffins are puffed up and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.