- YIELDS | 12 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 18 MINS
I can hardly stand it! These are so good it is hard to believe they are gluten free! They are moist, satisfying, filling, and make a great breakfast, snack or side for a Sunday dinner.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 6 ounces cooked chicken sausage (like Aidell’s), diced
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 heaping cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or neutral-flavored oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and add the bell pepper and chicken sausage. Cook 5-6 minutes until the peppers start to soften and the sausage is browned. Stir in 1/3 cup of scallions. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the oats, flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and thyme together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sausage mixture from the pan and all of the cheese except for 2 tablespoons (which will be used for the topping).
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and butter together in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with some sliced scallions and cheese.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 16-18 minutes, until the muffins are puffed up and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.