YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 25 MINS
This recipe is remarkably filling for being meatless. Use a veggie-based cheese and it becomes vegan. It is crunchy, soft, savory and 100% delicious. I adapted this recipe from the Wall Street Journal’s Saturday cooking section. It has a few more ingredients that I’d like to use but the recipe is beautiful, interesting and well worth the effort.
• 1⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
• 1 large onion, diced
• 4 teaspoons turmeric
• 2 teaspoons cumin powder
• 1 teaspoon Chile pepper flakes
• 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
• 1⁄2 cup water
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
• 1 cup crumbled feta
• 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds or toasted cashews
• 1⁄4 cup torn basil leaves
1. Set broiler to high.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes. Add turmeric and sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes more. Add cumin, chile flakes and sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes more.
3. Pour in lemon juice and water. Cover and let mixture simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until mixture thickens about 2-3 minutes more. Add splashes of water if onions look dry or begin to brown too quickly.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1⁄3 cup olive oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper zucchini on both sides. Lay zucchini into hot oil, cut-sides down, and fry until golden brown, 2-4 minutes. Flip and fry until reverse sides are golden, about 2 minutes more. Set zucchini aside on a sheet pan, covered with parchment.
5. Spread onion mixture over fried zucchini halves and top with feta. Broil zucchini until cheese browns in spots, about 2 minutes.
6. Garnish with toasted nuts, a drizzle of olive oil and basil.