- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 30 MINS
This chowder whips up in a jiffy thanks to the use of a few pantry staples. It is warm and satisfying with a little kick from the chiles. The vegan version is just as soul-satisfying too!
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped, about 10-12 small
- medium to large yellow onion, chopped, 1-2 cup
- 2-15-ounce cans, drained, sweet corn kernels
- 2-5-ounce cans hot, diced green chiles, undrained
- 1-5-ounce can mild, diced green chiles, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup half-and-half or favorite plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar or Colby cheese, grated, or vegan cheese, plus additional for garnish, optional
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives, about 5 sprigs, for garnish, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt the butter or vegan alternative in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, onion, and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add corn and chiles. Stir to mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, bringing the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add Kosher salt and black pepper to taste or about 1/2 tsp each.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork to be sure the potatoes are tender.
- Turn the stove off and pour in the half-and-half or plant based milk of choice plus the cheese, and simmer until warmed through. Sprinkle with Kosher salt to taste and a few good cranks of freshly ground pepper.
- Let the chowder cool for about 10 minutes.
- Use a stick (immersion) blender and purée until still slightly chunky, about 10-12 pulses. Or using a high-speed blender, carefully pour the mixture in batches (it will still be hot) and blend for 10-20 seconds and pop back into the pot.
- Divide chowder between 4 bowls or serve family style. Top with additional cheese and chives.