- YIELDS | 4-6 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 20 MINS
- COOK TIME | 25 MINS
This dish is so creamy, savory and addictive plus the squash provides plenty of healthy antioxidants. Bonus, it comes together in a snap thanks to the store bought gnocchi. Sub dairy with plant based alternatives for a delicious vegan version.
- One whole roasted acorn, squash, peeled, seeds, removed and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly brown pepper
- 16-ounce package gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon butter, vegan alternative, or olive oil
- Small onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups favorite plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or a gluten-free flour
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse the squash and pierce it with a knife. Place it into a baking dish and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, peel, and chop.
- Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi according to the package directions.
- Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-large pot, over medium-low heat, add the olive oil or butter and cook the onions, stirring occasionally and until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk in the flour. Stir for about 2–3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the Gouda cheese, additional salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the roasted, chopped squash, and mix to incorporate. Fold in the spinach.
- Pour the mixture into the 9 x 13 baking dish and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered until bubbling, about 20–30 minutes. Finish under the broiler until the top is golden brown.