Whip up a batch of this elixir and mix with almost any liqueur, or none at all, and top with a little seltzer and a garnish of lime and jalapeño slices.
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 8-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeños, halved and seeded
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the syrup and let cool. Refrigerate covered for up to 2 weeks, or freeze in ice cube trays.
See Ginger Jalapeño Tequila Spritzer for a refreshing and light cocktail.