YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 0 MINS
Cool and delicious fennel adds a hint of licorice while the fresh orange and marmalade brightens the dish. Serve this beautiful salad alone or as a refreshing side to a spicier dish. Add chicken or chickpeas to make it a complete meal. This makes a beautiful winter holiday salad when citrus is at its best.
• 1⁄4 cup Basic Dressing, see Basic Dressing recipe
• 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
• 2 large navel oranges, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups) or supreme the oranges for a pretty presentation
• 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice
• 2 medium-sized bulbs fennel, white part sliced thin or coarsely chopped, about 2 cups
• 4 cups baby spinach
• 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced, optional
1 tablespoon pine nuts raw or toasted, optional
• 2 tablespoons chopped fennel leaf for garnish, optional
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Combine the Basic Dressing, marmalade and fruit juice in a glass jar with lid, seal and shake well.
2. Rinse and dry the baby spinach and place in the bowl you plan to serve the salad.
3. Place the spinach, fennel and onions, if using, in the bowl. Add the dressing and mix again.
4. Garnish with chopped fennel leaf and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
1. Add one can (15oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2. Add one can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed plus a handful of halved sweet cherry tomatoes
3. Add a cup of cooked, chopped chicken breast or a cup of medium-size shrimp.
Make extra Basic Dressing to use all week long for salads, vegetables and to make other dressings. See Basic Dressing recipes for other dressing combinations and for the full recipe.