- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 0 MINS
Cool and delicious fennel adds a hint of licorice while the fresh orange and marmalade brightens the dish. Serve this beautiful salad alone or as a refreshing side to a spicier dish. Add chicken or chickpeas to make it a complete meal. This makes a beautiful winter holiday salad when citrus is at its best.
- 1/4 cup Basic Dressing
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and coarsely chopped, about 3 cups, or supreme the oranges for a pretty presentation
- 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice
- 2 medium-sized bulbs fennel, white part sliced thin or coarsely chopped, about 2 cups
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts raw or toasted, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel leaf for garnish, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the Basic Dressing, marmalade, and fruit juice in a glass jar with lid. Seal and shake well.
- Rinse and dry the baby spinach and place in the bowl you plan to serve the salad.
- Place the oranges, fennel, onions and pine nuts, if using, in the bowl. Add the dressing and mix again.
- Garnish with chopped fennel leaf and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Add a 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, plus a handful of halved sweet cherry tomatoes
- Add a cup of cooked, chopped chicken breast or a cup of medium-size shrimp
Make extra Basic Dressing to use all week long for salads, vegetables and to make other dressings. See the full recipe, which includes a variety of flavor combinations.