- YIELDS | 4-6 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 15 MINS
- COOK TIME | 45 MINS
Black beans, vegetables, and chicken simmering in a rich pumpkin sauce spiked with herbs, garlic, and chili—this warm and savory dish will warm you up on the coldest of evenings. It tastes even better the second day. Swap in chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken broth for an amazing vegetarian option.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 14-ounce cans pumpkin purée or 4 cups fresh pumpkin
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste, optional
- 3-4 cups boneless skinless chicken or turkey thighs or breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Place olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic, onion, hot pepper, red bell pepper, carrot, and celery. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, pumpkin purée, black beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, if using, and rosemary. Stir until combined.
- Add chicken or turkey. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!