YIELDS | 4-6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 15 MINS
COOK TIME | 45 MINS
Black beans, vegetables and chicken simmering in a rich pumpkin sauce spiked with herbs, garlic and chili. This warm and savory dish will warm you up on the coldest of evenings. It tastes even better the second day. Swap out chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken broth for an amazing Vegetarian option.
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeded and diced
* 1-14oz can crushed tomatoes
* 2-14oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
* 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
* 2- 14 0z cans pumpkin puree or 4 cups fresh pumpkin
* 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
* 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
* ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 2 teaspoons cumin
* 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
* ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste, optional
* 3-4 cups boneless skinless chicken or turkey thighs or breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
* Chopped partially for garnish, optional
1. Place olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven, over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic, onion, hot pepper, red bell pepper, carrot and celery. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, pumpkin puree, black beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, if using and rosemary. Stir until combined.
3. Add chicken or turkey. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add additional salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.