Latvian Gray Peas with Bacon and Onion
YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 mins plus soaking
COOK TIME | 1 hour 20 MINS
My husband’s family is Latvian. We recently visited this charming and resilient country and were served this savory and delicious dish. A traditional Latvian recipe, it is served during Christmas time and is said to bring good luck in the coming year. The gray peas have a wonderfully nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture and the addition of caramelized onion and bacon are undeniably delicious. This is an ultimate comfort food dish.
* 1 cup big gray peas, pigeon peas or black eyed peas
* 8 oz smoked bacon, cut I to bite-sized pieces
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
* Plain, low-fat Greek yogurt as condiment, optional
1. Soak peas overnight to shorten the cooking time.
3. Cook peas in salt water until tender. Roughly an hour. taste along the way to be sure they don’t over cook. Drain and set aside.
4. Over medium heat in a large frying pan, add the oil and chopped onion. Cook the onion until golden brown and slightly caramelized about 10 minutes.
6. Add the chopped smoked bacon to the onions and cook until slightly crispy about 8-10 minutes.
7. Add in peas and stir until well combined and warmed through.
8. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and a dollop of plain, Greek yogurt
This is a double duty recipe. It can be used as a side dish a main dish. Serve warm leftovers with toast and sunny side up eggs for a warm, gooey and delicious breakfast.