YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 15 MINS
COOK TIME | 40 MINS
This is one of my favorite ways to serve chicken. The flavors of this dish are a little bit French and a little bit Italian. The Castelvetrano olives are vibrant green and have a buttery, mild flavor and meaty texture. They pair beautifully with the fresh herbs, lemon and golden brown chicken. Serve a crisp green salad along side for the perfect and relatively healthy meal.
* 4 chicken breasts
* 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for serving
* 1 cup green olives of your choice, I use Castravetrano olives
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary plus a couple sprigs.
* 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped plus a couple sprigs
* 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped plus a couple sprigs.
* 2 Tablespoons small capers, drained
* Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Set the sprigs aside
3. In a medium bowl mix the olives, herbs, oil, drained capers and lemon juice and set aside.
4. Coast the chicken with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Heat a medium cast iron pan or oven-proof casserole dish over medium high heat, add the oil and then place the herb sprigs on the bottom of the pan and lay the chicken over the sprigs in a single layer into the pan.
6. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes on both sides or until the breasts are brown and seared. Remove chicken and place it into a plate.
7. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the olive mixture to the pan and stir to incorporate the scrape up the bits of chicken in the pan.
9. Add the chicken back into the pan and spoon the olive and herb mixture over the chicken.
10. Put the chicken into the oven uncovered and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and a a quick read thermometer reads 160 degrees.
11. Let rest for 5 minutes, season to taste with additional salt and pepper and enjoy.
If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand or don’t have the time to prep the herbs, substitute with 1-2 Tablespoon herbs de Provence.