- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 15 MINS
- COOK TIME | 40 MINS
This is one of my favorite ways to serve chicken. The flavors of this dish are a little bit French and a little bit Italian. The Castelvetrano olives are vibrant green and have a buttery, mild flavor and meaty texture. They pair beautifully with the fresh herbs, lemon, and golden brown chicken. Serve a crisp green salad alongside for the perfect and relatively healthy meal.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for serving
- 1 cup green olives of your choice (recommended: Castravetrano)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary plus a couple sprigs
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped plus a couple sprigs
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped plus a couple sprigs
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl mix the olives, herbs, oil, drained capers, and lemon juice, and set aside.
- Coat the chicken with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a medium cast iron pan or oven-proof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then place the herb sprigs on the bottom of the pan. Lay the chicken over the sprigs in a single layer into the pan.
- Cook chicken for about 4 minutes on both sides or until the breasts are brown and seared. Remove chicken and place it into a plate.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the olive mixture to the pan and stir to incorporate, then scrape up the bits of chicken in the pan.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and spoon the olive and herb mixture over the chicken.
- Put the chicken into the oven uncovered and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and a quick read thermometer measures 160°F.
- Let the dish rest for 5 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and enjoy.
If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand or don’t have the time to prep the herbs, substitute with 1-2 tablespoon Herbs de Provence.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!