- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 15 MINS
- COOK TIME | 15 MINS
This dish looks so incredibly gorgeous when served at brunch that you might want to take a picture. This recipe is uncomplicated, savory, and loaded with nutrients. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself serving it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Sweet Potato Fritters
(Yields 8 medium fritters)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- Large egg or egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup favorite flour (I use chickpea flour)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and black pepper
- Favorite oil for frying
Salmon and Egg Stacks
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers, optional
- Grate the sweet potato using a box grater or in a food processor.
- To a medium-large bowl, add the grated sweet potato, egg, baking powder, flour, cheese (if using), 1 teaspoon salt, and a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper and mix to incorporate.
- Heat a medium-to-large pan over medium-high heat and pour in enough oil to cover the bottom surface of the pan and to 1/4-inch up the side of the pan. Heat the oil until it has a looks glossy shimmer.
- Lightly mix the sweet potato mixture one more time and carefully add heaping tablespoon-sized dollops into the pan. Gently flatten the potato mounds with a spatula and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden, then flip. Adjust the heat if necessary, and cook another 2-3 minutes. If making a large batch, you may need to add more oil to the pan.
- Place the finished fritters on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with additional kosher salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
Perfect Poached Eggs
- Pour 1 1/2 inches of water into a nonstick skillet large enough to fit 4 eggs. Over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar.
- Gently crack eggs into custard cups. Lower each into the water, gently introducing the egg before removing the cup. Cook 4 1/2 minutes, adjusting the heat to maintain the temperature.
- Remove eggs, one at a time, with a slotted spoon. Drain on a paper towel before serving.
- Layer portions of this dish. Start with a sweet potato fritter, top with 1 ounce smoked salmon, and add a poached egg on top.
- Sprinkle each stack with 1 teaspoon chopped capers and serve.
If you’d like an even easier option, skip making the fritters and use slices of baked sweet potato instead.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut 1/4 inch off each end. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch horizontal slices and place them on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 minutes or until potatoes turn golden brown.