- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 15 MINS
I discovered Pork Panko a while back and find it adds a wonderful flavor to beans and especially to my Refried Bean Burgers. I add lime to these burgers to brighten the flavor, and the chilis give it a nice zing! This is an easy, go-to crowd pleasing recipe. Omit the Pork Panko to make it vegetarian or to enjoy on a Meatless Monday.
- 2 15-ounce cans favorite refried beans, pinto, black, etc.
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Pork Panko, or more to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4-ounce can hot or medium diced green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for frying
- 4 light and fluffy hamburger buns such as brioche
- Lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup, and whatever other condiments you like
- Slices of pepper jack or cheddar cheese, optional
- Mix all the ingredients together and form into patties. Sprinkle with additional Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a medium to large pan over medium heat and then add the oil.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until a nice brown crust forms, and then flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- If using cheese, add it to the burger now and then garnish with your favorite condiments.
These burgers freeze well.
I like to serve with fresh lettuce and tomato and a slice of cheddar cheese.