- YIELDS | 6 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 20 MINS
- COOK TIME | 30 MINS
This filling stew is jam packed with flavor and with even more nutrients. It will fill you up on a cold winter’s night and freezes well to enjoy. But it is so good you probably won’t have extras.
- 4 4-ounce chicken thighs or breasts, boneless skinless
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil of choice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced, more to desired degree of heat
- 1/2 cup peanut butter of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed, peeled or frozen chunks of butternut squash
- 3 cups kale, swiss chard or other favorite leafy green, stemmed and chopped
- A few sprigs chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken to the pot and cook until browned on all sides about 4–5 minutes per side.
- Move the chicken from the pot and set on to a plate.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, onion and carrots and cook for about 4–5 minutes and until the onion is soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Whisk the tomato paste into the broth and then pour into the vegetable mixture. Stir.
- Add all of the remaining spices and the bay leaf and stir to incorporate. Add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken and its juices, the greens and squash to the pot.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Uncover the pot, remove the bay leaf and cook for five more minutes and until the stew has thickened.
- Taste the stew and add any additional kosher salt or freshly ground pepper is needed.
- Dish into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley, if using.
Substitute any nut butter, add any favorite greens, and play with the heat level.