YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 15 MINS
COOK TIME | 15 MINS
This recipe is super easy to make and relatively healthy too. I like to serve it as an appetizer along with assorted olives and a Caponata. It also makes a great Meatless Monday meal when served with a green salad.
• 1 medium eggplant, Sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 3/4 cup flour, for dredging
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons to coast tomatoes Plus more as needed
• 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
• 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• 1 cup ricotta light cheese
• 1 small bunch basil, Stems removed and chiffonnade
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds and season with salt.
2. Pour the flour into a shallow dish or bowl.
3. Beat the eggs in another shallow bowl.
4. Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper in a third shallow bowl
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
6. While the olive oil heats up, dredge the eggplant in the flour, then dip in the eggs and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
7. Working in batches, cook the eggplant until golden, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil as necessary.
8. Drain on paper towels and season each slice with a little salt.
9. In a small bowl, add the chopped tomatoes and the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, vinegar and oregano and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the ricotta onto each eggplant slice and flatten with a fork and the top with the tomato mixture.
11. Garnish with a good amount of the fresh basil and serve.