- Turn all the grill burners on high. Put the lid down and let grill preheat for 10 minutes.
- While the grill heats up, brush steaks with olive oil and liberally sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper.
- With the burners still on high, place the steaks on the grill and close the lid. Sear only one side of the steaks: 2 minutes for 1” thick steak, 4 minutes for a 1 1/2” thick steak.
- When searing time is up, turn the center burner(s) off, and turn the other burners to medium. Flip the steaks over so the seared side is facing up, placing the steaks in the center of the grill over the off burner(s).
- Close the lid and finish cooking the steaks. For 1” thick steaks, it will take 4-5 minutes for rare, 5-7 minutes for medium, and 7-9 minutes for well done. If cooking 1 1/2″ thick steaks, add 1-2 more minutes of grill time to reach desired temperature.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag your photo with @verysmartideas on Instagram to share your results and ideas!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!