- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 15 MINS
This vegetarian soup is the perfect pantry meal. A simple mirepoix mixed with other kitchen staples makes this soup perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or weekend lunch. Substitute navy or lima beans for the chickpeas and use any favorite green. Add precooked chicken if desired. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled,
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach or other baby green such as Kale or chard
- 3/4 cups orzo, gluten free or regular
- 1/4 cup parmesan or pecorino plus more per serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Add the olive oil to a medium to large pot over medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and rosemary. Stir.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and orzo. Reduced to a simmer and cover. Simmer until the orzo is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the baby greens to the soup in handfuls and simmer until wilted, about a minute or two.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with cheese and additional salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.