- YIELDS | 6 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 45 MINS
This recipe dishes up rich baked flavor with creamy Parmesan, coupled with the roasted spinach and asparagus, plus perfectly fluffy, tender rice. This is a great dish to make for a crowd or dinner party. Simply double the recipe. It freezes well too. I like to serve a simple green salad alongside.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white or yellow onion, from a small to medium onion
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 8 cups spinach leaves, about 4 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups (about a small bunch) diagonally sliced asparagus, about 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized oven-proof pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook for at least 4-6 minutes or until tender. Cook longer if you like a more caramelized taste, stirring occasionally. Add rice; stir well to coat rice.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add salt, nutmeg, spinach, and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer on stove for 7-9 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, cover, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add the asparagus and the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese, and mix. Add additional 1/2 cup broth if dry.
- Cover and bake an additional 15 minutes and until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from oven and stir.
- Add additional salt to taste if necessary and, a few good cranks of freshly ground pepper. top with additional grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Use a box of thawed, well drained frozen spinach instead of fresh if you don’t have time to stop at the store.
Add chopped mushrooms to the onions while cooking for extra flavor.