- YIELDS | 8-10 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 20 MINS
- COOK TIME | 90 MINS
This recipe blends several tastes, resulting in a savory, slightly sweet, chewy, and tender stuffing. This dish tastes equally as good with turkey, chicken, or stuffed into a pork roast. I removed a few steps I felt were unnecessary and a fair amount of the fat typically found in many stuffing recipes.
Double Duty Recipe: Make extra stuffing to use for a Greek-inspired soup with lemon and leftover turkey or chicken (see Notes).
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice or 1 cup wild rice and 1 cup long grain brown rice, will yield 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks, saving the egg whites for another recipe
- 1/2 cup sherry or good cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 orange, peel and pith removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium to large pot or Dutch oven over high heat, bring 5 cups water to a rapid. Add 1 tablespoon Kosher salt. Add rice and gently stir only once. Reduce heat to simmer and partially cover pot. Cook until rice is tender, about 35-50 minutes. Drain and transfer rice to a large bowl.
- In the same Dutch oven or pot, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and celery, and sauté until onions are golden, 10-15 minutes. Add sage and cook for 1-2 more minutes or until fragrant.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the stock, 1 cup at a time. Stir to thicken and then add next cup, stirring for about 4-5 minutes. Add rice back into pot and stir.
- Whisk egg yolks and sherry together in a small bowl and then gently mix into rice mixture. Add chopped pecans and orange pieces and mix to incorporate.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting.
If not using as stuffing, bake in oven for 45 minutes at 350°F.
Add chopped mushrooms, apricots and/or walnuts for different variations to the stuffing.
Savory Lemon Soup
- Mix 2 cups stuffing with 4 cups chicken broth, juice from one lemon, and leftover cooked, chopped turkey or chicken.
- Heat through. Season to taste with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper then serve.