YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 35 MINS
This stew is warm, fragrant, and very filling. Serve it with crusty bread and a green salad. This is a double duty recipe that makes a delicious soup too.
* 2-15 oz cans great northern, white or navy beans
* 1 large carrot, chopped, about one cup
* 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped, about 3⁄4 cup
* 2 large celery stalks chopped, about a cup
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
* 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
* Freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium pot, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is translucent.
2. Add carrots and celery. Cook until the veggies begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add broth, beans, and herbs. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Double Duty Recipe: White-Bean Soup: blend 2 cups of warm leftover White Bean and Vegetable Stew with 1 cup or more of chicken or vegetable broth in a high speed blender until smooth. Add additional broth is soup is too thick. Add 1⁄4 pound chopped uncured ham or cooked chicken (optional) and stir well.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve or refrigerate in containers for lunch.