- YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 55 MINS
The briny olives pair perfectly with the salty anchovies and blend perfectly with the tomatoes to create an umami sauce. It fills in every nook and cranny of the warm mashed potatoes for a perfect bite every time.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 whole chicken legs, or 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced, about 1 tablespoon
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers, drained
- 2-3 anchovy filets, minced, or 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 28-ounce can, whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand or pulsed a few times in a blender until chunky
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or filtered water
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- Mashed potatoes, pasta, or creamy cooked polenta, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large ovenproof pan over medium-high. Once hot, pour in olive oil.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken, skin-sides down, and cook until browned and crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from the pan transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, and to the pan add the garlic, capers, anchovies, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly, about 8-10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken, skin side up, the accumulated juices, and olives to the pan. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and liquid is reduced to a thick sauce, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and serve over mashed potatoes, pasta, or creamy polenta.