- YIELDS | 1.5 CUPS OR 6-8 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 10 MINS
- COOK TIME | 1 HR 30 MINS
I love the versatility of this recipe. Smear this spoon-licking jam on warm bread buttered with brie or cream cheese, or place a spoonful between a slice of ham and cheese for a savory sweet sandwich. You will want to make a double batch. It is that versatile!
- 2 pounds tomatoes, Roma, plum or a combination, cored and roughly chopped.
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- Crackers, bread, and cream cheese, optional
- Add all the ingredients to medium-sized, heavy pot with lid or Dutch oven. Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil and stir.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened to a jammy consistency, about 1.5-2 hours. Season to taste with additional salt and or red chili flakes.
- Pour the jam into small glass containers or canning jars, seal the lids, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve chilled tomato jam with warm bread, hearty crackers, and a side of cream cheese, if using, and a glass of white wine or a good beer.
Use within 2 weeks.
- Spread it on crackers over brie or cream cheese
- Add it to grilled ham and cheese sandwiches
- Try it with eggs of any kind: scrambled, sunny side up, omelet
- Makes a great condiment for hotdogs and cheeseburgers
- Marinate chicken and fish with it for a savory and smoky taste