- YIELDS | 12 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 15 MINS
- COOK TIME | 60 MINS
Gooey, rich, melty and it tastes just like a thick meaty pizza—any questions? This is a comfort food like no other and is a good recipe to make on a cold winter’s day or for the big game. It travels and freezes well, and this favorite family recipe makes enough for a small army. This casserole tastes even better the next day, so though the recipe can be easily halved, you might as well make the whole thing and treat yourself to leftovers.
- 3 12-ounce Reames or Aunt Vi’s frozen egg noodles
- 4 15-ounce cans pizza sauce
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage
- 3 4-ounce cans of mushrooms
- 2 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven two 400°F.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces. Drain and set aside.
- Boil noodles per package instructions and drain well.
- In a very large bowl, combine noodles, sausage, pizza sauce, mushrooms, and half the cheese, and mix well.
- Coat 1 very large baking dish or 2 smaller baking dishes with cooking spray or a coating of oil. Pour the mixture into the baking dish(es) and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.