YIELDS | 2-4 APPETIZER SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 15 MINS
COOK TIME | 6-10X MINS
As a small child, I fondly remember eating snails. These weren’t any average mollusks mind you, these escargot, were drenched in a garlicky, buttery sauce and dotted with parsley and shallot. This recipe is authentically French and designed for you to experience this dish the same way the French have been making escargot for centuries. Toasted, buttery baguettes and a good white wine are a must.
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
* 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened plus more to butter baguettes
* 2 teaspoons shallot, minced
* 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced plus more for garnish
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1 tablespoon dry sherry or white wine
* 12 snails, see notes
* 1 French baguette, sliced into thin rounds
Porcelain Escargot Dishes or 12 to sterilized escargot shells
Preheat oven to 450°F.
1. Mince the garlic, shallot and parsley. Place the garlic and shallot in a medium bowl, add 1/2 the salt and mash into a paste.
2. Add the butter, parsley and remaining salt to the garlic shallot mixture and whisk together until well combined.
3. Add the wine or sherry and mix well. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, slice the baguettes into thin rounds, butter both and place onto a baking sheet. Toast in oven on top rack until golden brown, about 5 minutes but watch to be sure they do not burn, remove and cover with a clean towel to keep warm.
5. Divide the butter, garlic, parsley mixture and place a small scoop on the bottom of each of the rounds in the dish or into the snail shells.
6. Place a snail into each round of the dish or snail shell and top each with the remaining butter, garlic, parsley mixture
7. Bake snails until butter is melted and bubbly, about 4 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
8. Place the buttery, browned banquette slices on top of the snails (if using dishes), garnish with minced parsley and serve piping hot.
I found the perfect porcelain escargot dishes. You can buy them in the Shop on this website.