- YIELDS | 6-8 SERVINGS
- PREP TIME | 15-20 MINS
- COOK TIME | 90 MINS
You’ll hardly notice this chili is vegan and gluten free. Warm and spicy, this dish develops a great sauce while cooking and it’s so versatile too. Serve with warm cornbread and a crisp green salad.
Double Duty Recipe: Serve chili with fried eggs, hot sauce, and warm tortillas, or spoon over spaghetti and shower with cheddar cheese for a couple of different meals later in the week.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium poblano pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 14-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 14-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes and the juices
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you like it hot
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pour the oil into a Dutch oven or a large pot on medium heat. Add the celery, pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the broth, beans, all of the herbs and spices. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes longer.