YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 40 MINS
This dish has it all. A flavorful char of kale, broccoli and chickpeas, a buttery, zesty ricotta cream sauce mixed with warm pasta and flaky sea salt. Need I say more?
• 1 lb linguine or spaghetti
• 1 bunch, about 1 lb, broccoli or broccolini, trimmed and cut into thin florets
• 1 14-oz can chickpeas or other white beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced 1⁄2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
• 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
• 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 8 ounces ricotta, preferably room temperature
• Kosher and flaky sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, and drain the pasta and set aside and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat the broiler and set a rack roughly 8 inches from the heat source.
3. In a large bowl, toss the broccoli, chickpeas, garlic, red-pepper flakes and 1/3 cup oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out evenly on to one sheet pan.
4. Next add the chopped kale to the same bowl you used to coat the broccoli and toss with a bit more olive oil to evenly coat. On a second sheet pan, spread out in an even layer.
5. Working with 1 sheet pan at a time, broil the broccoli and chickpeas, tossing halfway through cooking, until the chickpeas are toasty and the broccoli is tender and charred, 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Broil the kale next and until just charred and crisp, about 3-5 minutes. Be sure to watch carefully. The kale burns easily.
7. Zest the lemon first and the cut it in half. Cut 1 half into 4 wedges.
8. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half over the roasted vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Return the pasta to the pot. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water, the ricotta, butter and lemon zest and toss until well combined.
10.Add the roasted vegetables to the pot and toss, adding more pasta water as needed.
11.Divide among four bowls. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper and serve with lemon wedges.