YIELDS | 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 15 MINS
I discovered Pork Panko a while back and find it adds a wonderful flavor to beans and especially to my Refried Bean Burgers. I add lime to these burgers to brighten the flavor and the chilis give it a nice zing! This is an easy, go-to crowd pleasing recipe. Omit the Pork Panko to make it vegetarian or to enjoy on a Meatless Monday.
* 2-15 oz cans favorite refried beans, pinto, black, etc.
* 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
* 1/2 cup, or more to taste, Pork Panko
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
* 1-4 oz can hot or medium diced green chilies, drained
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
* 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for frying
* 4 light and fluffy hamburger buns such as Brioche
* Lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup and whatever other condiments you like
* Slices of pepper jack or cheddar cheese, optional
1. Mix all the ingredients together and form into patties. Sprinkle with additional kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Heat a medium to large pan over medium heat and then add the oil.
3. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until a nice brown crust forms and then flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
4. If using cheese, add it to the burger now and then garnish with your favorite condiments
These burgers freeze well. I like to serve with fresh lettuce and tomato and a slice of cheddar cheese.