YIELDS | 4-6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME | 10 MINS
COOK TIME | 20 MINS
This dish is in umami bomb. It is simple and highly nutritious. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken and it becomes a vegetarian. Add chicken or shrimp and lo mein noodles to make it a hearty, one pot meal.
• 1 ounce dried black shiitake mushrooms
• 2 scallions, chopped
• 7 stalks or one medium bunch regular bok choy or eight baby bok choy, rinsed, trimmed and chopped
• 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
• 4 tablespoons white miso
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
• 2 teaspoons, toasted sesame seeds
• 2 scallions, sliced
• 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil for garnish
• Sriracha, optional
1. Rinse and place mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with 1-2 cups warm water, soak for 10 minutes, drain and slice but reserve the broth to use in soup.
2. Place broth, shiitake broth, ginger and soy sauce is a pot over medium heat, stir and bring to a simmer.
3. Place mushrooms and bok choy in simmering broth. Let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide into individual bowls or served family style in one larger bowl.
4. Garnish with scallions, sesame seeds and a drizzle of the toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately. Add a few dashes of Sriracha if you like a little heat.